Tuesday, April 12, 2011

We had to say our good byes to Rebekah

I'm sad to report that we did have to put our German Shepherd down. One of the hardest things to do. I wish that we didn't have to make the decision but after much thought we had to do it. Her hips were bad and she couldn't even sit. She would only stand or lay down. She was having a hard time just walking up the 2 steps to the front door. We had to stop taking her out the back door about 9 months ago because the deck steps were too much for her. She was getting hard of hearing and her eyes were real cloudy so not sure how well she could see. She also started having more accidents and chewing things up like the toilet paper! She was 12 1/2. I feel like she had lived a long great life. We got her while she was a puppy. I searched weeks for the right German Shepherd! We drove a couple of hours to go and pick her up in Missouri. We lived in AR at the time. She went to work with me some days (I worked at an animal clinic at the time). She was the best dog. She let the kids do anything to her. You could even play with her while she ate her food and she was still good. The kids would use her as a step to get up onto the couch when they were little. She was great company when Brent was deployed a couple of times. We all sobbed and I do mean sobbed when she was being taken to the vet. It's amazing how attached we become to our pets. They are part of the family!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Kristen. I know how much you loved Rebekah. To me, she is just a part of your family. I do believe that I met her the same day I met you, at Cornerstone Animal Hospital, when she was just a pup. She was a sweet dog.